Saturday, February 4, 2012

AXILLARY WEB SYNDROME

Its been only a week since my last post,seems like forever.I've been busy preparing myself,my home,my case to surgery with Katie's help.So much things happened i don't even know where to begin.Let's  go back in time 3 weeks.I felt a sharp pain in my right axillary area where my biopsy was taken.I toughed it's normal to have that shooting pain all over on my right side.Than i noticed that I'm having difficulty to raise my arm,and days later i couldn't even straiten out my whole arm!!! Could not reach up,out or twist my lower arm.I saw a cord like string super tight in my armpit,every time i try to reach up.Same cord in my mid arm by the elbow veins. The pain was so bad ,felt like someone is trying to pull some nerves inside out.Like it wasn't bad enough,it also went down under my cancerous breast ,by my ribcage.
Needless to say this affected my wonderful skills as a waitress.My boy's (my 7 smurfs)at work were amazingly helpful,reaching up for things,lifting,pulling,they were right there the second i needed help.So after days of struggle and sleepless nights,i begin to research for this weird condition and this is what i find.

Left side arm can't be straighten out,
visible change in shape too.
Axillary web syndrome (AWS) is a relatively new term for an old problem that may be seen in people who are treated for breast cancer. Identified for many years as lymphatic or axillary cording,1,2 AWS is described as a visible web of axillary skin overlying palpable cords of tissue that are made taut and painful by shoulder abduction.3
The etiology of AWS is most likely due to interruption of the axillary lymphatics during either sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) or axillary lymph node dissection (ALND), two procedures that may be performed for the treatment of breast cancer.3-6 This phenomenon has also been observed in a patient following axillary staging for melanoma7 as well as a patient with breast cancer and axillary metastases who developed AWS without ever having surgery.3
Chief complaint is pain in the  axilla extending down the arm with overhead activities. identified an acutely painful, fibrous cord from the axillary scar into  mid forearm with an inability to lift anything with the left hand or to reach overhead.'       for reference go to;
 http://www.vodderschool.com/treatment_of_axillary_web_syndrome

I called my doctor right away,she told me to go see her ASAP. Until i should take Advil for the pain and inflammation ,also wrap my whole arm in warm towel multiple times a day. I did that for three days and hallelujah.It got much better.Idid see my doc ,she said i be fine by the surgery,and my case is not that bad as other woman had ;( poor ladies out there. I got one week to go.My arm is about 90% back to normal.I'm happy with that,even thought my other hand start to feel funny,I'm hoping it's not this nightmare,and I will be OK till surgery.





No comments:

Post a Comment